Frequently asked questions

Scholarship applications are available through the following channels: Chinese government, Chinese prefecture-level governments, Chinese universities, Chinese enterprises, Malaysian enterprises and Malaysian private non-enterprise organizations.

Scholarships are generally awarded in two ways:

  1. Fixed grant: A certain percentage of scholarships are offered to international students every year.
    • Eg. Chinese Government Scholarship, Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Scholarship, etc.
  2. Non-fixed grant: Enterprises and private non-enterprise organizations will decide whether to provide scholarships according to the annual situation.
    • Eg. Dong Jiao Zong, The Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry of Malaysia (ACCCIM) , The Federation of Hakka Association of Malaysia, etc.

Here’s a guide to all the scholarships you may be eligible for.

  1.  Chinese government and universities
  2.  Private non-enterprise organizations
  3.  Others


  1. For the non-fixed grant scholarships, we may only provide some directions.
  2. The information given above are for references only.  MSAS will continue to update the list as we learn more about it.
  3. Students are encouraged to pay more attention and enquire more details on their own.
  4. MSAS only provides scholarship consulting services. The specific scholarship application work needs to be completed by students themselves.

Students with UEC, STPM and A-level certificates are not required to attend college matriculation.

Chinese language is used in class, while English and Malay are mostly used in medical field in Malaysia, which has some obstacles, but it should be no problem if you work hard to overcome it.

International students are not allowed to work in China, unless the position is provided by the work-study program of the university.

It would not matter much, instead you can use this time to enhance your CV and personal experiences by joining volunteer projects or internship programmes.

It depends on the university or course that you are applying for, some will require a Chinese version of personal statement/recommendation letter, but some also accepts English version as well. It is advisable to double confirm with the university you are applying for.

Each school has their own application deadline. Generally, the application season for China universities usually begins in December of the year before admission, so it is recommended to prepare and apply early.

Business majors will be more receptive to GMAT, while other majors (such as economics majors) need GRE. Chinese universities not necessary require GRE or GMAT, but it also depends on the university you are applying for, so you must look at the requirements in the admissions brochure.

If you get accepted by the university just with your trial results, you will only receive a pre-admission notice, as they will only send you an official admission letter after you have submitted your official exam results. Do contact the university for further details.

It depends on the school as some universities may require you to submit your Physics test scores for assessment (eg. Fudan University).

It depends on the school, as commerce-related degrees normally involve large amount of Mathematics, thus some universities may require you to submit your A-Level Further Mathematics result.

There are fewer scholarships available for A-Level applicants, but you may consider applying for university scholarship if you have achieved outstanding results throughout the semester.

It depends on the university, most of the time they will accept students with better academic performance. Hence, it is important to put in effort in every exam, try your best to get a good score. Meanwhile for Pre-U Program provided by local education agencies, they usually require at least 5C in SPM.

Most universities begin their intake in fall, SPM results are likely to be announced by September. Take Shanghai Jiao Tong University as an example, the application deadline for the Pre-U Program is usually at the end of August.

On the other hand, for Pre-U Program by local education agencies, you can always opt for the next intake if you missed the initial application phase.

Pre-U Program is solely for international students only. While for the undergraduate studies, some classes are held with local students and some are not. The arrangement will be made by the school.

Having a rough direction would suffice. But of course, the teachers would be able to help better if you have a clear goal.

Submit your questions here