Official Documents Application

1. Visa Application

The visa for international students to study in China is X1 or X2 visa. It is okay to assign a travel agency for the visa application, with the reminder that the visa should be a Student Visa (X1 / X2) instead of a travel visa (L).

X1 Visa: Long term visa for staying in China to study for more than 180 days (recommended)
X2 Visa: Short term visa for staying in China to study for less than 180 days

Document Preparation

  1. Original passport
      – The expiry date should not be less than 6 months
      – At least two blank visa pages
  2. Passport image
      – China visa standard
  3. Photocopy of Passport Information Page 
  4. Visa Application Form
  5. One physical passport image to be pasted on the application form
      – Photo has to be taken recently
      – Front view without hat
      – Full colour image with white background
  6. University official offer letter
      – Original and photocopy
  7. Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW101 or JW202) issued by the university
      – Original and photocopy

Application Centres

Kuala Lumpur

Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Malaysia

Address: Level 1, Plaza OSK ,No.25 Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Working Period: Monday to Friday (except holidays) 09:00am – 11:30pm


Kuala Lumpur

Chinese Visa Application Service Centre

Address: Level 5 & 6, Hampshire Place Office, Jalan Mayang Sari, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Working Period: Monday to Friday (except holidays) 09:00am – 3:00pm



Visa Office in Penang

Address:Ground Floor, 17 Lebuh Bishop, 10200 Georgetown, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.

Working Period: Monday to Friday (except holidays) 09:00am – 3:00pm


*The Visa Office in Penang only accepts mainland China visa applications for Malaysian citizens (holding ordinary passport) and third-country citizens legally residing in Malaysia. Expedited service is not provided, and it takes 6 working days for visa to be collected.


Chinese Visa Application Service Centre in Kuching

Address: 2nd Floor, Wisma Naim 21/2 Mile Rock Road, 93200 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia

Working Period: Monday to Friday (except holidays) 09:00am – 3:00pm


2. Body Check Up

Every international student is required to do a body check up, before or after reaching Shanghai (depends on the institution). Once arrived in Shanghai, the health examination made has to be approved by the Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center.

If you wish to do the body check up in Malaysia, Tung Shin Hospital is the only hospital that health examination is approved by China, in other words, you can directly bring the examination result made in Tung Shin Hospital to China and get issued an official Health Certificate.

If you took the medical examination in other hospitals in Malaysia, it will not be approved, hence you should be prepared to make another round of examination in Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center to receive the official Health Certificate, which will cost around 400 yuan. In usual case, universities in Shanghai will arrange international students to the venue in batch for the medical examination one or two weeks after the enrollment. You should check with your teacher once enrolled.

Any health medical examination made in Malaysia has only 6 months of validity. You should take the examination not earlier than 6 months before your arrival in Shanghai.

NOTE: There might be extra procedures that need to be done due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Please take note of any official announcements made by your institution if the return to campus is being confirmed.

Document Preparation

  1. China Visa Health Medical Examination Form (Click here to download)
  2. Agreement Form
  3. Original Passport
  4. Photocopy of Passport information page and visa page
  5. Passport photos x 3
  6. Offer letter – original and photocopy
  7. Cash (for medical check up in Malaysia hospital) (Around RM450)

Health Screening Centres

Tung Shin Hospital

Address: 6F, Health Screening Centre, Western Medical Division,102, Jalan Pudu, Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Clinic Hours:

  • Monday to Friday: 08:00am to 4:30pm
  • Saturday: 08:00am to 12:30pm
  • Closed on Sunday & Public Holidays

Learn more: Tung Shin Hospital (English Website)   同善医院 (中文网站)
Tel: +603-2037 2301

You can also click here to learn more information from DongZong.

Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center

Address: 15, JinBan Road, ChangNing District, Shanghai

Service Hours: Monday to Friday 08:00am – 11:00am

Tel: 8621-62686171

3. Residence Permit

Holding a student visa (X1 / X2) requires you to apply for a residence permit within 30 days of arrival. You should make the application after receiving the Health Certificate issued from Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Centre.

Document Preparation

  1. Original passport with a student visa
  2. Passport image x 2
  3. Offer letter – original and photocopy
  4. Foreign Students’ Application Form for Visa (JW201 / JW202)
  5. Health Certificate (from Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center)
  6. Visa and Residence Permit Application Form (obtained from school international student office)
  7. Cash

Application Centre

Shanghai Public Security Bureau Exit-Entry Management Bureau

Address: 1500 MinSheng Road, Pudong, Shanghai, China

Service Hours: Monday to Saturday 09:00am – 11:30am, 01:30pm – 04:30pm

More application centres:

Bonus: staying off-campus

If you are not staying in university hostel / local hotel upon arrival in China, you should immediately go to the nearest police office to apply the Registration Form of Temporary Residence for Visitors within 24 hours of staying at such non-registered place (a relative’s house, a rented room outside campus, etc).

Document Preparation

  1. Original passport with a student visa
  2. Original Rental Contract (if you’re staying at a rented place)
  3. Copy of the landlord’s ID card
  4. Copy of the landlord’s certificate of Real Estate Ownership

A fine of 100 yuan to at most 500 yuan might be charged if the application is not done. Learn more here.